Harvard Affiliate Programs
Swipe to view Programs
Graduate Student Associates
Application Deadline: April 12, 2017
The Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies welcomes Harvard University advanced doctoral students to apply for affiliation with the Center during one year of their dissertation research and writing. Approximately 10 graduate student associates will be selected each academic year. Students may be from any school or department of the university, with research focus on China. Selection will be based on quality of research project, the student’s need for on-campus space, and the interests of the Fairbank Center in supporting a diverse community of scholars.
The GSAs are expected to be present at the Fairbank Center offices regularly to benefit from and contribute to the interdisciplinary research environment. GSAs meet together several times each semester to present their dissertation research to each other, gaining constructive feedback from peers. Professional development sessions, faculty presentations, or other ideas for meetings can be arranged according to the group's interests and suggestions.
The Fairbank Center provides:
• Desk space in a shared office with Internet access for one academic year
• Shared printers and other office facilities
• Computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse (to connect to your laptop)
• Up to $1,000 support for research activities upon application and approval
• Use of Fairbank Center business cards and stationery for professional purposes, with approval
The Graduate Student Associate is responsible for:
• Regular use of the office space, averaging at least two days a week
• Participation in GSA meetings and presentations by fellow GSAs
• Submission of one post per semester (one on his or her research topic and the other on a Fairbank Center talk) for publication on the Fairbank Center’s blog
• Occasional volunteer service to the Center, such as:
-orientation support for visiting scholars
-advice for undergraduate projects
Please apply through CARAT.
Contact Nick Drake at email@example.com or 617-495-4007 if you have any questions regarding the application.
Desmond and Whitney Shum Fellowship
Application Deadline: March 15, 2017
The Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies is pleased to announce the Desmond and Whitney Shum Fellowship, which supports graduate students undertaking social science research projects in China. Harvard doctoral candidates from any school within the university specializing in a field of the social sciences are eligible, with preference given to students of government, public policy, public administration, economics, law, and sociology.
For the 2017-2018 academic year application cycle, the proposed research period should be at least four months long, and the maximum stipend that can be awarded is $20,000. The award decision will be made by a committee of faculty associated with the Fairbank Center.
Mr. Desmond Shum is the vice chairman and CEO of Airport City Development Corporation and a member of the 11th session of Beijing's Political Consultative Conference. Mr. Shum serves as a member of the standing committee of the Institute of Finance and Banking, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, and is the founder of Kaifeng Foundation China. He is also an honorary trustee of Tsinghua University. He holds a bachelor's degree in finance and accounting from University of Wisconsin, Madison, and an executive MBA from a joint program of the Kellogg School of Business, Northwestern University, and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
Ms. Whitney Duan, wife of Desmond Shum, is the founder and chairman of Kaifeng Foundation, fellow of the All-China Youth Federation, and trustee of the Tsinghua University Strategic Development Advisory Committee. She also serves as executive director of the China Youth Entrepreneur Development Association, trustee of the China Youth Social Education Foundation, and member of the editorial board for the NGO Management Study Magazine. She holds a bachelor's degree in computer science from Nanjing University of Science and Technology and an Executive MBA from Tsinghua University. She is pursuing a Ph.D. at the School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University.
Maximum stipend: $20,000
Application deadline: March 15, 2017
Please submit all application materials via CARAT and follow the instructions carefully.
Required application documents:
• Your research proposal, approximately 2 pages double-spaced
• Budget needs for the research period in China
• A letter of support from your faculty adviser (this can be sent or delivered separately by the faculty member)
• Current transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable)
• A letter of acceptance from the Chinese host institution, if available
Student Advisory Group
As part of our 60th anniversary, we are evaluating how the Fairbank Center engages with Harvard’s student community, particularly students at Harvard College. In 2016 we inaugurated our Student Advisory Committee, consisting of undergraduate, masters and doctoral students, to help guide the Center’s student engagement.