The Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies welcomes Harvard University advanced doctoral students to be affiliated with the Center during one year of their dissertation research and writing. Approximately 10 graduate student associates will be selected each academic year. Students may be from any school or department of the university, with research focus on China. Selection will be based on quality of research project, the student’s need for on-campus space, and the interests of the Fairbank Center in supporting a diverse community of scholars.
The GSAs are expected to be present at the Fairbank Center offices regularly to benefit from and contribute to the interdisciplinary research environment. GSAs meet together several times each semester to present their dissertation research to each other, gaining constructive feedback from peers. Professional development sessions, faculty presentations, or other ideas for meetings can be arranged according to the group's interests and suggestions.
The Fairbank Center provides:
• Desk space in a shared office with Internet access for one academic year
• Shared printers and other office facilities
• Computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse (to connect to your laptop)
• Up to $1,000 support for research activities upon application and approval
• Use of Fairbank Center business cards and stationery for professional purposes, with approval
The Graduate Student Associate is responsible for:
• Regular use of the office space, averaging at least two days a week
• Participation in GSA meetings and presentations by fellow GSAs
• Occasional volunteer service to the Center, such as:
-orientation support for visiting scholars
-advice for undergraduate projects
Application deadline: May 1, 2015