Applications for the Fairbank Center’s 2024 – 2025 Visiting Scholars program will be available in Fall 2023 and will be due in February 2024.
The Fairbank Center hosts visiting scholars from other universities or research institutes throughout the world. Scholars come to the Center for one year to develop their own research in various disciplines of Chinese Studies, broadly defined. Visiting scholars have access to Harvard libraries and other resources and participate in Fairbank Center activities and events.
Academic Visiting Scholar applicants must have a doctoral degree and be in a ladder faculty position at their home institution. The visiting period shall correspond with Harvard’s academic calendar, either for autumn semester, spring semester, or for one full year from August 1 – July 31. An administrative fee of $1,000 will be charged to visiting scholars.
Visiting Fellow of Practice applicants must be professionals with specialized and extensive China knowledge. The visiting period shall correspond with Harvard’s academic calendar, either for autumn semester, spring semester, or for one year from August 1 – July 31. An administrative fee of $5,000 per semester will be charged.
Visiting scholar/fellow appointments are unpaid. Invited visiting scholars/fellows will need to demonstrate adequate self-funding for U.S. visa purposes and provide a signed statement of interest in the unpaid appointment with no expectation of funding from Harvard.
The United States government requires that visiting scholars have sufficient English proficiency to be able to function effectively in the U.S. The Fairbank Center is required to certify that a scholar has adequate command of English before their visa application can be processed. This will be determined via a phone or Zoom interview. Note that this is a U.S. government requirement over which neither the Fairbank Center nor Harvard University has any discretion.
The intellectual life of the Center is greatly enriched by the active participation of its affiliates. Visiting scholars are expected to undertake a clearly defined research project that draws upon Fairbank Center and Harvard University resources. They are also expected to be in residence in the greater Boston area during the period of affiliation and to engage actively in Center activities.
How to Apply
The next application deadline will be February 15, 2024, for affiliation during the 2024-25 academic year. Please make sure that all your application materials are submitted by the application deadline. A faculty committee will review applications and select the strongest applicants for a visiting position at the Fairbank Center. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to accept all qualified applicants to this program.
Applicants to the Visiting Scholars & Fellows program are required to submit the following materials:
- Online Application form (see directions below)
- Research proposal (in English) for the period of your affiliation. Indicate if there are specific Fairbank Center faculty members or Harvard resources you intend to work with.
- Curriculum Vitae (in English) listing your academic degrees (with dates), disciplines, and any publications.
- Work sample (an article or paper) in either English or Chinese.
- Name and email address of two references willing to provide a letter of recommendation.
Proposal, CV, and work sample must be separate pdf files uploaded to your online application.
Two letters of recommendation are required. Letters are to be sent directly to the online application by each of your references. When you submit your application, your references will receive an email invitation with directions to upload their letter of recommendation.
IMPORTANT: To access the online application in Harvard’s system (CARAT), please follow these steps:
- Create a “HarvardKey” login (if you are a “Non Harvard applicant” – i.e. a new user with no HarvardKey or Harvard email address)
- Enter your name and email address
- You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org inviting you to register
- Follow the link in the email to set up your account and choose a password
- You will receive another email confirming you have successfully created your HarvardKey account.
- Log in to CARAT using your HarvardKey
- Go to https://carat.fas.harvard.edu/
- Log in with your HarvardKey email and password
- As a new “X ID” user, you will be asked to provide some basic personal information. Complete the Personal Information form for CARAT.
- Once logged in to CARAT, search for the “Fairbank Center Visiting Scholars Program” opportunity
- Or use the direct link to the application (copy the url below)
Direct link to the Visiting Scholar application will be added here when available
Start working on your application in CARAT. You can save your work and log in again later to make changes and complete your application.
Submit your application by February 15 at 11:59pm Eastern Time. Early submission is recommended to give your references time to submit their letter of recommendation. They will receive an invitation email from CARAT with a link to upload their letter.
Questions? Please email email@example.com