- This event has passed.
Youth Political Mobilization & Socialization in Contemporary China: The Centenary of the Communist Youth League
September 8, 2022 @ 8:20 am – September 9, 2022 @ 1:15 pm
2022 marks the 100th anniversary of the official establishment of the Chinese Communist Youth League (中国共产主义青年团, CYL), one of the largest youth political organizations in the world. As the Chinese Communist Party’s assistant and reserve force, the CYL is the Party’s main channel to socialize youth in the official political discourse and practices, and mobilize them to support the current system. Despite the importance of the organization, English-language academic work on its history, politics and multifaceted role in contemporary China remains sporadic.
The CYL’s centenary offers an opportunity to bring together scholars from different disciplines to discuss their research and insights on Chinese youth political socialization and mobilization, with particular attention to the League and connected youth organizations. The Ash Center, working with Dr. Jérôme Doyon (University of Edinburgh), Dr. Sofia Graziani (University of Trento) and Dr. Konstantinos Tsimonis (King’s College London), is pleased to organize an online seminar, taking place on September 8th and 9th, examining emerging scholarship related to communist youth organizations in China.
|Event Schedule |
Thursday, September 8th
• Introduction: 8:20-8:30 AM by Tony Saich, Daewoo Professor of International Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School
• Panel 1: The Mobilization of Youth during the Chinese Communist Party’s Early Years: 8:30-10:30 AM
• Panel 2: The Socialization and Co-optation of Young Chinese: 11:00 AM-1:00 PM
Friday, September 9th
• Panel 3: Youth Organizations and State-Society Relations: 8:30-10:30 AM
• Panel 4: Youth Narratives and Propaganda: 11:00 AM-1:00 PM
• Concluding Remarks: 1:00-1:15 PM with Stanley Rosen, Professor of Political Science from the University of Southern California
Day 2 registration link: https://harvard.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_0YAGp8NPRjyltJQPKgD1TQ